Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Zombies, Scrap Lumber, Scissors and Gluestick


Here's another piece from the same period as the two posts below. Just to show you something with a slightly different mood.  This was a cover for a surreal collection of short stories by Mark McLaughlin entitled Zom Bee Moo Vee and Other Freaky Shows. I wanted to create a tongue in cheek image that was reminiscent of the old late-night horror movies that were so bad (read funny) that they were good.

Pictured above is poor short order cook Stuart, in the beach snack shack hiding from a zombie attack, armed with only his spatula, but to no avail.  The zombie is busting through the boarded up order window.  Keeping in the spirit of low budget B movie productions, the window is the same one used here.  I'm a big believer in recycling art supplies.  The zombie is my next door neighbor, and Stuart (not his real name) was my co-worker.  They were photographed separately and collaged together, again with good old scissors and glue stick.  There is no doubt a cut and paste feel to these pieces, and that was intentional. It's real and unreal at the same time. I love the affect.
The story does not end there, below, we see the horrible result, which appeared on the back cover. Of course, this is what happens when you lose your head.


Again, this is all collaged in.  I built the little snack shack (12" high in real life) out of scrap lumber and photographed it in my kids' sandbox.  The plastic hot dog I borrowed from my niece.  I drew two lines in the sand with my fingers and then collaged onto the final picture the prone image of Stuart having been forcibly pulled and dragged from the shack.  It's not a flawless, seemless illusion, but then it's not supposed to be, just like a B movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment