Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Talebones Present



This was my first fully digital illustration, and it was for a Talebones cover.  (See previous posts) Though still a collage, it was created completely with a digital camera and Photoshop.  Well, almost.  I forgot the face was scanned in from an old b/w photo. For this cover I wanted to do something overtly science fiction, but again in an unconventional way.  The concept was a junkyard astronaut.  Picture, perhaps, a man stranded on a world, where he must piece together a spaceship and spacesuit out of the relics and remnants (junk) of a dead civilization. Kind of a "green" astronaut (hey, I told you I was into recycling).

To collect the fragments of his space suit, I rode my bike around town with my camera looking for appropriately deteriorated and dented automobiles.  I then cut out the choice parts in Photoshop, and built the astronaut's suit layer upon layer, warping the shapes as needed and adding shadows to complete the illusion. Dig the duct tape on the yellow piece and what appears to be a bullet like hole right through the middle of the Cadillac emblem.  The moon is a hubcap from a VW wagon. and the face, that's me - a photo taken some 20 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment